Update 12/23: Great feedback so far. I’ll be posting a follow-up within the next week.
A Little History… (Skip This If You Are In A Hurry)
For several years, South Florida has had the pleasure of being the host of numerous conferences (including the first official WordCamp Miami earlier this year at UM). For the past three years, that has included “Future of Web Apps” (FOWA) hosted by Carisonified. However, numerous potential attendees and developers were sadder to hear that in 2011, FOWA would be in Las Vegas. Nothing against FOWA (and I wish them well) or Las Vegas but that was about the only major annual conference that the majority of web developers and designers could enjoy.
Hence my proposal – South Florida needs it’s own annual conference deveoted to web design and development.
I brought this up on Twitter when I heard the news, and good some responses but now i’m desiring serious feedback. The endgame is hopefully to have a conference in Miami in early 2011.
This is my pitch to those interested in a one-day event in Miami (or Ft. Lauderdale if there is no Miami venue):
- The event would be for those who design, manage, or develop web sites/apps and mobile apps.
- The event will be for ANY skill level, even those who don’t consider themselves designers or developers.
- The event would be split into two tracks – one for coding, the other for design/UI/SEO/marketing.
- The first event will be structured similar to a “code camp” or WordCamp. Speakers and topics will be pre-selected and made available in plenty of time before the event starts. There’s a possibly of a “barcamp” open style block in the schedule time permitting.
- As with most camps and refresh-style meetings, speakers are not here to self promote themselves, their company, or their products. They are here to teach.
- A keynote is possible.
- Any speaker regardless of their hometown can submit a proposal but the overall event SHOULD represent/reflectt the vast local talent we have in South Florida.
- Cost of event will be VERY reasonable (think < $100 – and compare that to bigger conferences and you’ll see that certainly is reasonable).
What Do You Want To Learn?
Interested? Then this is what we need: suggestions for speakers and topics.
Here is a list to get started. Please leave a comment and let me know what YOU would like to speak about OR what you would like to see presented.
- Introduction to jQuery
- CMS Showdown: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, ExpressionEngine
- Introduction to Ruby on Rails
- Introduction to PHP
- PHP Frameworks (Or Intro To MVC)
- Building Your First iPhone App
- Building Mobile Web Sites
- Spice Up Your Website With Custom Fonts
- SEO 101
I know alot of that is aimed towards programmers and developers – but that’s because I am primarily a developer myself. Any reasonable topic is fair game. And hence why i’m asking for your $0.02.
During November, i’m going to gauge the interest level in a more official capacity and if things look good, start nailing down potential topics and speakers.
How About A Venue?
Admittingly this is not a strong suit of mine. If you have a suggestion for a venue and know someone “on the inside”, please let me know. Usually events like this take place at collegues or universities. Keep in mind that funding will be coming directly from ticket sales, so the less the venue costs the less the ticket prices will be.
We will also announce ways local companies can sponsor the event for VERY reasonable prices. Sponsorship costs would go back into paying for the event. Everything here is basically non-profit.
What Do You Think?
That’s my proposal. Now let me know what you think. What do you want to see at WebDevMiami2 2011?